The trials & tribulations of having a live-in chef (or living & feasting in our cottage in Seremban, and now Beijing)

Monday 23 May 2011

Fabulous HK (and change of name) !

I could live in Hong Kong. We went there for 5 days a couple of weeks ago and it was fabulous ! Stayed in a little private apartment which we got online, only paid USD55 a night inclusive of unlimited internet access. Fantastic. We had checked the hotels beforehand but because it was HOFEX (food and hospitality show) weekend, most hotels were fully booked or wanted crazy prices. Stayed in Sheung Wan, the dried seafood street, just 10 minutes by tram from Central. Lots of cheap local food places around. If you have a hangup about the smell of dried seafood though, I wouldn't recommend you to stay in that location. If you enjoy the smell of the sea and the essence of a woman (I'm putting it delicately) , go !

Found Pret-A-Manger in IFC mall in Central. Good coffee according to Big Chef (they say they use 14g a cup). Delicious crayfish and rocket sandwich and BLT sandwich just like the shops in London. I wanted to try more but decided to save some space for dimsum.

Oh and was I glad I saved the space. We ordered pork and 'spare parts' porridge and it came in a huge bowl. Delicious. Silky soft flavorful rice porridge with huge liver slices, shredded pork and intestines. Oh oh oh soooo good. Big Chef was wallowing in pig heaven. We also had char siew pow, har kow and the preserved eggs. And the 4 big dishes and endless cups of chinese tea only cost RM80 for the 2 of us. About the same as what it would cost in KL for the same meal in a hotel. HK is still affordable.

Wow ! I've had a couple of people (friends, nice friends, dear nice friends) tell me they like my blog. Also, why Apple they ask ? Because years ago a lady mistook my name for Apple when I was introduced to her. (Nope, not because I'm the "apple of my eye" of Big Chef !) Others have thought it was Simple. I decided against using Simple. For a simple obvious reason as I'm sure you all will agree. However my girlfriend Slim C from Singapore says she already knows another Apple who doesn't speak much English and sells cars. As such I've decided to change to SpiceApple. Ok ladies ? Ok BC baby ?

Signing off, SpiceApple, formerly and very briefly known as Apple.




1 comment:

Garrett said...

Oooohhh....I love eating in HK! The porridge, like what you guys had...but I especially love the beef brisket soup noodles...with it's rich clear broth...smooth hor fun noodles...yum!